Police Department Overview
The mission of the Williamsport Police Department is to maintain peace and order through the provision of police services that are of the highest quality and responsive to the needs of the community.
The Department contributes to the safety and security of the community by apprehending those who commit criminal acts, developing partnerships to prevent, reduce, or eliminate neighborhood problems, and providing police services that are fair, unbiased, and respectful of the dignity of all individuals.
The Department consists of 49 sworn police officers and is commanded by the Chief of Police and two Captains. Qualified individuals within the Department have the opportunity to specialize in several different career paths, including: Criminal Investigations Unit, Vice Narcotics, and the Special Response Team.
The Williamsport Police Department offers a competitive salary, an attractive benefit package with challenging promotional and assignment opportunities.
The Selection Process
The Williamsport Bureau of Police utilizes a multi-step process for selecting individuals to be hired as Police Officers. The testing cycle will begin soon with the announcment that our department is now accepting hiring applications.
- Complete and return the application
- Candidates will first be given a written examination, given in the Sechler Room on the Second Floor of City Hall
- Candidates which pass the written test will be required to take a Physical Fitness Test.
- Those who pass the physical fitness test will be scheduled for an oral interview. Those candidates will be given the date and time of their oral interview after passing the physical fitness portion.
- A list will then be prepared ranking the candidate’s based on their final score using these three areas. This list will be certified by the Civil Service Commission and posted.
Once positions open within the Department the second step of the selection process begins:
- Background Investigation is conducted
- Polygraph Examination is conducted
- Physical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Appointment- Applicants must have already completed ACT-120 training and completing all pre-employment requirements. Candidate will be notified of an appointment date and, will be sworn in as Police Officers of the Williamsport Police Department.
Download an Application by clicking the file below